” I hate to break it to you, but you’re no Captain Kirk. You’re Picard.” -Kendra Saunders
Here are the ten reasons why Quinn Fabray from Glee is a feminist character:
- Quinn Fabray was strong enough to do the right thing and put her daughter Beth for adoption. Fabray’s daughter found a great mother in Shelby Corcoran.
- Quinn was part of both the God Squad and New Directions. She was also in and out of the Cheerios throughout high school.
- Fabray graduated from Yale University School of Drama.
- When Quinn was a little girl she had serious body issues, which caused her to transform herself into a cheerleader so she could be popular. Fabray deals with serious insecurity issues, which is why she used to be a major bully.
- Quinn’s father kicked her out of his house for being pregnant and breaking the celibacy pledge she had made to him.
- Fabray helped Mercedes stop starving herself to fit into the Cheerios outfit by telling her how being healthy is important and how beautiful the powerhouse singer is. The two became friends for life.
- Quinn Fabray’s pregnancy enabled the cheerleader to realize how it felt to be bullied or ignored by most of the other students, which is how most of the New Directions members were treated at their high school. She became a better kinder person for it though still acts on her jealous nature at times.
- Quinn Fabray and Santana Lopez rigged their high school’s prom so that Rachel Berry won Prom Queen, so she could have the perfect night.
- Fabray had sex with Santana Lopez during Mr. Sheuster’s almost wedding.
- Quinn spent a couple of months of her senior year partially paralyzed because she texted and drove at the same time.
” I’m sorry, it all sounds so far fetched.” – Heather Chandler
Here are the ten reasons why Michaela Pratt from How to Get Away with Murder is a feminist character:
- Michaela Pratt is an overachieving law student at Middleton University.
- Pratt remains one of the top interns for Professor Annalise Keating’s law firm.
- Michaela wants to become Annalise Keating one day so she continues to be the most prepared student in the class. She has worked very hard to get to Middleton and won’t let anybody get in the way of her ambitions of being one of the top defense lawyers in the country.
- Pratt’s fiance Aiden turned out to be gay and in love with Connor.
- During the first day of class, Michaela recited information about the case Keating was the defense lawyer for without even being asked.
- Michaela Pratt can be a goody two shoes, but will do anything to impress Keating and to protect herself after all the murderous deeds that group has been part of.
- Michaela was raised by adoptive parents, which is why she is a big defender for the Hapstall siblings who are accused of murdering their wealthy parents.
- In a very out of character move, Pratt dates Caleb Hapstall even though he is her client.
- Pratt starts off hating Connor Walsh because of his gay playboy personality, but they become very close friends after she breaks up with her fiance Aiden.
- Michaela is caught on camera running out of the Hapstall mansion where Professor Annalise Keating was shot. Pratt and the rest of Keating’s interns are often on the brink of being arreseted.
“You have enough secrets Cat, being mad at your mom shouldn’t be one of them.” – Tess Vargas
Here are the ten reasons why Tess Vargas from the modern Beauty and the Beast television show is a feminist character:
- Tess Vargas is now the Captain for the NYPD unit that she and Catherine are part of.
- Vargas comes from a family of police officers. All of Tess’s five brothers are also part of the NYPD too.
- Tess Vargas won’t put up with any sort of attitude from anybody. She gives a teen idol lots of sarcastic jabs when he kept on hitting on her.
- Captain Vargas sees everything in black and white when it has to do with the law, which is why at first Tess had a hard time understanding why her best friend Cat was secretly harboring a fugitive. Vargas sees Vincent as a serial killer.
- Tess can be a very straight forward person, which is why she confronts her scientist boyfriend J.T. right away when she finds all these bloody tissues.
- Tess Vargas is a very loyal best friend, which is why she forgives Cat and helps her protect the “beast” Vincent Keller.
- Captain Vargas has low self-esteem in the dating area especially since her affair with her former boss Joe, which is why it takes some time for her to admit to being in a relationship with J.T. Forbes.
- Vargas uses her power as a Captain to protect her boyfriend and close friends. She puts police protection on J.T. Forbes when the 200 year old super “beast” Liam targets the scientist.
- Tess is a great detective/captain who tracks down Cat when she goes missing trying to find Vincent.
- Vargas takes a break from her job to help make J.T. Forbes’ dreams come true, when she finds out that he is dying from the superhuman serum.
“Amy, I saw your instability on TV. Call me when you get this. Get someone else to dial if you’re in a straitjacket.” – Sue Wilson
Here are the ten reasons why Detective Catherine Chandler from Beauty and the Beast (2012-) is a feminist character:
- Detective Catherine Chandler became a cop because she witnessed her mother’s death, which she feels guilty about. She spends most of her day’s trying to help others.
- Catherine Chandler can calm her human-beast hybrid boyfriend Vincent Keller when he turns into “the beast”.
- Cat has a hard time dealing with personal issues like her mixed feelings about her Mom creating human-beast hybrids so she puts all her energy in solving crimes for the NYPD or helping keep Vincent save from Muirfield.
- Cat Chandler is a mixed race. Her Mom was a Asian American bio-chemist and her Dad is white.
- Detective Chandler may not have animalistic reflexes, but she can take care of herself in hand-t0-hand combat. Catherine Chandler is an expert in kick boxing. Cat is also handy with a gun.
- Catherine Chandler graduated from Princeton magna culm laude and got high marks from the NYPD police academy.
- Catherine Chandler’s partner is Tess Vargas who she confides everything to expect for a year when she kept Vincent a secert.
- When Vincent Keller was kidnapped by Murfied, Cat and their friend J.T. searched for him. She broke into a storage building to save him, but Keller couldn’t remember the two most important people in his life.
- When the couple gets sent to a safe house because the city is after Vincent, Chandler can’t help solving a murder across from “their” suburban house. Her instincts about the wife and cop killing the husband were too strong to ignore.
- Cat and Vincent were able to stop the other hybrid Gabe from killing Keller by working together. Cat was able to put a case together to prove Gabe was a serial killer, then Vincent fought him.
” I cannot justify going for tea with my mom’s sisters when somebodies hunting Vincent.” – Catherine Chandler
“Yeah. Twice. Two times too many.” – Anita Van Buren ( On notifying a widow)