“Why exactly would the universe make fun of us all?” – Dani Reese
Here are the ten reasons why Joss Carter from Person of Interest is a feminist character:
- Jocelyn a.k.a. Joss Carter is a NYPD Police Detective who helps Team Machine save people.
- Joss served in the U.S. Army first as a Warrant Officer in an air base in Afghanistan, then in Iraq where she worked as a top interrogator.
- Carter earned a Purple Heart in 2oo4.
- Detective Carter could of been a lawyer, but decided to stick to being in the NYPD after passing the bar.
- Joss is a single mother of a teenage son named Taylor.
- Joss Carter went to Middleton University.
- Detective Carter died after taking down HR, which is an organization full of corrupt cops like Simmons.
- HR framed Joss so the rest of her department thought she had shot a unarmed criminal, which got her demoted to being a police officer. Carter was able to clear her name and reveal all the corrupt cops.
- Joss Carter refused to let her ex-husband Paul see Taylor until he got counseling for his PTSD. She was forced to pull a gun on her ex after he tried to hang out with their son.
- Carter figured out for herself that Finch and Reese were working with a super computer a.k.a. AI who were giving them social security numbers of potential victims or criminals.
” You are my backup. ” – Joss Carter
Here are the ten reasons why Root from Person of Interest is a feminist character:
- Root a.k.a. Samantha Groves is both a lesbian computer hacker and contract killer based out of New York City.
- Root is the only person on the team who can directly speak with “The Machine” an intelligent A.I. who sends her out on special missions all over the world.
- Groves loves Sameen Shaw and spent many months trying to track her down when the evil A.I. Samaritan kidnapped her.
- Root lost her mother who taught her about computers in 2002. Samantha Groves has a hard time relating to normal human beings.
- Root can easily shoot or torture people for a greater cause like helping The Machine save the world, but doesn’t like it.
- When Samaritan came online she was the only person on Team “Machine” who got to change identities instead of being stuck living a double life like Finch who had to be a professor and save people.
- Control deafened Root in one ear, but a cochlear implant allows her to hear and speak directly to The Machine at all times.
- Root is excellent at counter-survelliance and blending into different identities like French nanny or reporter.
- When Groves was a teenager she mastered the computer game “The Oregon Trail”.
- Like Shaw, Root is a skilled marksman though she was never trained in the army.
” You’re going against The Machine’s wishes by keeping me here, Harold. You’re only gonna make her angry. Can you imagine what a being that powerful will do when she’s angry?” – Root
Here are the ten reasons why Sameen Shaw from Person Of Interest(2011-2016) is a feminist character:
1. Sameen Shaw is technically a sociopath, but still loves Root a.k.a. Samantha Groves who she is willing to kill herself for. Shaw almost shot herself in the head because the bisexual operative thought perhaps Samaritan could force her to hurt Root. Plus Shaw could not tell if she was in another simulation where The Machine’s evil twin forced her to kill all her friends.
2. Shaw joined the U.S. Marines where she found that she was good at killing people because she was forced out of being a emergency hospital doctor. Sameen’s boss said that she could not be a good doctor because all she cared about was skill not saving lives.
3. Sameen used to be an operative for a secret U.S. military branch called ISA where her codename was Indigo Five Alpha. An A.I. called “The Machine” who Shaw thought was a department called Research handed out names from the “relevant list”, which were usually terrorists or mobsters that she has to assassinate.
4. Shaw now helps innocents in trouble with “The Machine”, Finch, Root and Reese using talents that she honed with the Marines and ISA. Instead of killing the bad guys, Sam shoots them in the arms or legs because the group doesn’t approve of murdering anybody.
5. Sameen Shaw’s father died in an automobile accident right in front of her when the agent was a child. The part Iranian girl shocked the paramedics because she showed no emotions about her Dad’s death.
6. Shaw’s skills include: amazing markenship to the point that she can shoot a man in the arm through a wall using a sniper rifle; can bring down men twice her size using Krav Maga and other hand to hand combat training; a high pain tolerance making torture pointless; and medical training to the point Sameen can remove bullets from herself.
7. Sameen can speak German, Farsi and Spanish.
8. Shaw has a tattoo of the U.S. Marines Medical Corps symbol on her arm.
9. Sameen Shaw loves Reese’s military trained dog named Bear who she takes as her own after the rest of the group is dead.
10. Shaw stores a lot of her guns in her fridge.
“Well, if you know so much about my employers, then you must know that they are very very good at finding people.” – Sameen Shaw
“That’s my color. I’m wearing it.” – Martiza Ramos
Here are the ten reasons why Poussey Washington from Orange is the New Black is a feminist character:
- Poussey Washington was mostly raised by a single father who was a major in the United States Military. Though as a little girl Washington was very close to her mother who read her bedtime stories. She traveled all over the world as a military brat.
- Poussey is fluent in German because one of her father’s last stationed was in Hohenfels where she fell in love with Franzi who was the daughter of a German commander.
- Washington is a lesbian who loves to make jokes with her friends like Taystee. Poussey and her friend once did a skit where they pretended to be white politicians that was quite amusing.
- Poussey Washington works at the library in the Litchfield Prison.
- Washington makes toilet hooch that is the best in the prison though she refuses to charge money for it.
- Poussey got depressed in Litchfield because she didn’t have any romantic companionship, which led her to become an alcoholic.
- Washington fell in love with Soso another prisoner who she nursed back to health after she overdosed on antihistamines. She and the other African American prisoners accepted Soso who was mixed (Asian American and White) so had a hard time fitting in.
- The army brat was killed by a guard because she was trying to protect Susanna a.k.a. Crazy Eyes from being taken to psych. Poussey is a kind soul who doesn’t like when the innocent are being picked on.
- Poussey is a big fan of Judy King whose the Southern Martha Stewart. After years of watching King’s television shows, she bonds with the chef in prison. Washington felt hope for a good life right before she was killed because King offered her as a job working in a kitchen as a cook.
- The army brat and Soso made plans to live together after jail living in Tahiti.
” My name is Poussey. Accent a droite, bitch.” – Poussey Washington