My little sister Raven turned twenty one this month, so to celebrate her birthday I’m going to list my ten favorite sister relationships on feminist shows:
- Alex and Kara Davers (Supergirl, 2015-)
- Buffy and Dawn Summers (Buffy the Vampire Slayer,1997-2003)
- Sydney Bristow and Nadia Santos (Alias, 2001-2006)
- Piper,Phoebe and Prue Halliwell (Charmed,1998-2006)
- Sarah and Julia Braverman (Parenthood,2010-2015)
- Laurel and Sara Lance (Arrow, 2012-)
- Gaberille and Lila (Xena Warrior Princess,1995-2001)
- Maggie and Beth Greene (The Walking Dead, 2010-)
- Dr. Meredith and Dr. Lexi Grey (Grey’s Anatomy,2005-)
- Mary and Sybil Crawley (Downton Abbey,2010-2015)
“Well, I Googled reincarnated nutjobs and came up with nothing.” – Thea Queen
Here are the ten reasons why Dr. Caitlin Snow from The Flash(2014-) is a feminist character:
- Dr. Caitlin Snow helps the Flash a.k.a. Barry Allen defeat bad guys in Central City using her knowledge as a bio-engineer.
- Caitlin also tends to all of Barry Allen’s medical needs since he heals very fast, so can’t really go to any other doctor.
- Dr. Snow was part of the creation of the particle accelerator, which then led to the invention of meta-humans like the Flash.
- Dr. Caitlin Snow stabilized Barry Allen after he was hit by the lightening from the particle accelerator.
- Caitlin is work-alcholic who suppresses her emotions because the death of her fiancé and other unknown trauma.
- Caitlin Snow is very protective of her team and she tries to stop them from doing anything to dangerous, which usually doesn’t work.
- Dr. Caitlin Snow along with her best friend Cisco Ramon helped create the cure for Mirakuru.
- Dr. Caitlin Snow was able to figure out how to re-program the S.T.A.R. Labs to track meteorological abnormalities over Central City so they could find the meta-human Clyde Mardon who could control the weather.
- Dr. Snow could find the cure of the poisonous gas that Kyle Nimbus became to save Barry Allen.
- Caitlin Snow must be a trained neurosurgeon because she threatened Cisco Ramon with a lobotomy. A warning that Cisco took very seriously.
“If you keep getting no for an answer, stop asking questions.” – Iris West
Here are the ten reasons why Felicity Smoak from Arrow(2012-) is a feminist character:
- Felicity Smoak is the CEO of Palmer Technologies.
- Felicity was recruited to be part of Team Arrow because she is gifted in computer science especially in the art of hacking.
- Felicity Smoak became a paraplegic when Darhk’s men shot her in the back, but she did not let that stop her from helping her fiancé Oliver Queen’s mayoral campaign, running Palmer Technologies and doing her hacking duties for Team Arrow.
- Smoke started building computers at age seven.
- Felicity Smoak graduated from MIT with a master’s degree in Cyber Security and Computer Sciences.
- Felicity helps the Green Arrow (Oliver Queen) and his team by hacking into governmental websites, tracking bad guys and getting data out of computers or hard drives that have been damaged.
- Felicity Smoak is really great a keeping secrets though terrible at making excuses for Oliver when has to save the day.
- Felicity has a great sense of humor, but can really over-talk and get herself in trouble. For example, when Moira Queen won the trial the hacker said she was not supposed to mention the prion time because it would be awkward.
- Felicity Smoak is also a bit of a scientist whose able to do things like test DNA or figure out what material devices are made from.
- Felicity Smoak was traumatized by her father leaving her at a early age, but has found a way to really trust people. She broke up with Oliver Queen because of his inability to do so.
“So we’re just supposed to get used to working above a makeshift prison housing evil people with superpowers. ” – Dr. Caitlin Snow
Here are the ten reasons why Wonder Woman a.k.a. Diana Prince from Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) is a feminist character. Please be warned this post is full of spoilers so watch the film first before reading the list:
- Diana Prince was able to steal the decoder from Lex Luthor’s mansion without anybody, but Bruce Wayne noticing. Though Batman noticed a little to late. She got out of the party with ease.
- Wonder Woman can share unlike “little boys”. Diana breaks into Wayne’s car, then returns the device after she is done using it. Prince doesn’t feel the need to steal when you can just borrow.
- Prince has snappy banter with Bruce Wayne where she reveals that he has never met a woman like her.
- Wonder Woman originally left mankind alone because of the cruel way we treat each other that often leads to war and starvation.
- When Diana Prince boards a plan to take her home, she gets off because she sees that Metropolis is in danger. Even though Diana knows that Batman knows that she is a metahuman, which could endanger her whole life.
- Wonder Woman fought in World War I with the Americans.
- Diana helps Superman kill Doomsday by holding the mega Krypton monster still with her lasso of truth.
- Wonder Woman does some serious damage to Doomsday with her sword and lasso.
- Diana Prince’s shield can block Krypton eye lasers.
- Diana Prince remains nobody’s love interest for the entire film.
” A man’s life, a friend’s life is in danger. Doesn’t seem like the right time for Cordon Bleu. ” – Felicity Smoak
“Don’t give me that, you play like a girl look, because I play like a girl who grew up with three brothers.” – Erin Reagan
To celebrate Wonder Woman’s role in the new Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice(2016) film I’m going to list my favorite female superheroes from both film and television. In the comments please give me your list:
- Supergirl (Supergirl, 2015-)
- Black Widow (Marvel Cinematic Universe, 2010-)
- Daisy Johnson (Agents 0f Shield,2013-)
- Bobbi Morse (Agents of Shield,2013-)
- Xena (Xena Warrior Princess,1995-)
- Buffy Summers (Buffy the Vampire Slayer,1997-)
- Jean Grey (X- Men movies, 2000-2006)
- Storm (X-Men movies,2000-2006)
- Kitty Pride (X-Men:Days of Future Past,2014)
- Negasonic Teenage Warhead(Deadpool,2016)