Here are the ten reasons why Tess Vargas from the modern Beauty and the Beast television show is a feminist character:
- Tess Vargas is now the Captain for the NYPD unit that she and Catherine are part of.
- Vargas comes from a family of police officers. All of Tess’s five brothers are also part of the NYPD too.
- Tess Vargas won’t put up with any sort of attitude from anybody. She gives a teen idol lots of sarcastic jabs when he kept on hitting on her.
- Captain Vargas sees everything in black and white when it has to do with the law, which is why at first Tess had a hard time understanding why her best friend Cat was secretly harboring a fugitive. Vargas sees Vincent as a serial killer.
- Tess can be a very straight forward person, which is why she confronts her scientist boyfriend J.T. right away when she finds all these bloody tissues.
- Tess Vargas is a very loyal best friend, which is why she forgives Cat and helps her protect the “beast” Vincent Keller.
- Captain Vargas has low self-esteem in the dating area especially since her affair with her former boss Joe, which is why it takes some time for her to admit to being in a relationship with J.T. Forbes.
- Vargas uses her power as a Captain to protect her boyfriend and close friends. She puts police protection on J.T. Forbes when the 200 year old super “beast” Liam targets the scientist.
- Tess is a great detective/captain who tracks down Cat when she goes missing trying to find Vincent.
- Vargas takes a break from her job to help make J.T. Forbes’ dreams come true, when she finds out that he is dying from the superhuman serum.