Here are the ten reasons why Detective Catherine Chandler from Beauty and the Beast (2012-) is a feminist character:
- Detective Catherine Chandler became a cop because she witnessed her mother’s death, which she feels guilty about. She spends most of her day’s trying to help others.
- Catherine Chandler can calm her human-beast hybrid boyfriend Vincent Keller when he turns into “the beast”.
- Cat has a hard time dealing with personal issues like her mixed feelings about her Mom creating human-beast hybrids so she puts all her energy in solving crimes for the NYPD or helping keep Vincent save from Muirfield.
- Cat Chandler is a mixed race. Her Mom was a Asian American bio-chemist and her Dad is white.
- Detective Chandler may not have animalistic reflexes, but she can take care of herself in hand-t0-hand combat. Catherine Chandler is an expert in kick boxing. Cat is also handy with a gun.
- Catherine Chandler graduated from Princeton magna culm laude and got high marks from the NYPD police academy.
- Catherine Chandler’s partner is Tess Vargas who she confides everything to expect for a year when she kept Vincent a secert.
- When Vincent Keller was kidnapped by Murfied, Cat and their friend J.T. searched for him. She broke into a storage building to save him, but Keller couldn’t remember the two most important people in his life.
- When the couple gets sent to a safe house because the city is after Vincent, Chandler can’t help solving a murder across from “their” suburban house. Her instincts about the wife and cop killing the husband were too strong to ignore.
- Cat and Vincent were able to stop the other hybrid Gabe from killing Keller by working together. Cat was able to put a case together to prove Gabe was a serial killer, then Vincent fought him.