Here are the ten ways that Dr Alex Black from Criminal Minds is a feminist character:
- Dr Blake earned her PhD at UC Berkeley in linguistics.
- SSA Alex Blake teaches forensic linguistics at Georgetown along with being a profiler at the BAU.
- Blake joined the FBI when she was twenty four years old. The only other person at the BAU to become part of FBI in their early twenties is Reid.
- Alex knows sign language.
- SSA Blake comes from a family of law enforcement. Her father is a retired Kansas City Police Captain and her older brother Danny was killed in the line of duty. Scott Blake continues to be a homicide detective in Kansas. Alex and Scott reconnected over a BAU case.
- Section Chief Erin Strauss let Alex take the blame for arresting the wrong suspect during a case that was connected to Amerithrax.
- Blake and her husband James lost their nine year old son Ethan to a neurological disease many years ago. Their son’s death is the reason why the couple don’t live together.
- SSA Alex Blake has a strong both with the brilliant SSA Spencer Reid because he reminds her of Ethan.
- Alex whispers lyrics to songs when she is trying to solve a problem.
- Blake’s early introduction to puzzles lead her to want to study linguistics.