Here are the ten reasons why Winifred “Fred” Burkle from Angel(1999-2004) is a feminist character:
- Texan Fred went to UCLA for a graduate physics program, but never finished because one of her professors banished her to a demon dimension called Pylea. Burkle spent five years as a human slave until Angel and his team rescued her.
- Winifred was left mentally unstable by her time in Pylea, but all of her intelligence is still intact. Fred is a brilliant mathematician, scientist, and quantum physicist.
- Fred learned how to shoot guns, crossbows, and fights with swords during her time with Angel Investigations.
- Burke can be both vengeful to enemies of her friends and compassionate towards those she cares about. Winifred tried to invent a machine that would bring back Spike’s corporeal body, but still hit Connor with a stun gun many times since he hurt Angel.
- Even before joining Angel’s team, Fred was a conspiracy theorist.
- When the team joined Wolfram & Hart, Burke was put in charge of the firm’s Science Division. Winifred got her own lab to create her inventions.
- Fred’s soul was eaten by Illyria so she could to properly die, but she was came back to life after the demon died.
- Winifred took care of Angel’s baby son Connor and was the only other person present at his birth.
- Fred dated Gunn for a year, but ended the romance after he killed the professor that sent her to “hell”. Burke wanted to murder the physics professor herself.
- Winifred can be very innocent, but is tough enough to hold her own against a SWAT officer.