Here are the ten reasons why Root from Person of Interest is a feminist character:
- Root a.k.a. Samantha Groves is both a lesbian computer hacker and contract killer based out of New York City.
- Root is the only person on the team who can directly speak with “The Machine” an intelligent A.I. who sends her out on special missions all over the world.
- Groves loves Sameen Shaw and spent many months trying to track her down when the evil A.I. Samaritan kidnapped her.
- Root lost her mother who taught her about computers in 2002. Samantha Groves has a hard time relating to normal human beings.
- Root can easily shoot or torture people for a greater cause like helping The Machine save the world, but doesn’t like it.
- When Samaritan came online she was the only person on Team “Machine” who got to change identities instead of being stuck living a double life like Finch who had to be a professor and save people.
- Control deafened Root in one ear, but a cochlear implant allows her to hear and speak directly to The Machine at all times.
- Root is excellent at counter-survelliance and blending into different identities like French nanny or reporter.
- When Groves was a teenager she mastered the computer game “The Oregon Trail”.
- Like Shaw, Root is a skilled marksman though she was never trained in the army.