Here are the ten reasons why Piper Chapman from Orange is the New Black(2013-) is a feminist character:
- Piper Elizabeth Chapman was sentenced to around fifteen months in the Litchfield Prison for money laundering though what she actually did was pick up a suitcase full of drug money for her girlfriend Alex Vause in a Belgium airport.
- Piper is bisexual WASP.
- Champan formed a soap company called PoPi with her best friend from college Polly Harper.
- Piper became engaged to her Jewish writer boyfriend Larry Bloom right before she was incarcerated.
- Piper Chapman and Alex Vause have a on/off again romantic relationship. The Litchfield prisoners always seem to come back together since their soul mates. Piper is there for Alex no matter what. Chapman comforts Alex about how she helped kill an assassin from the drug cartel Vause was part of.
- Chapman formed a prison business selling underwear worn by her fellow inmates on the internet that are sold by her younger brother Cal.
- When her business partner/friends with benefits Stella Carlin stole all of Piper’s money, the WASP inmate thinking she was a “mafia boss” frames Carlin by putting a screwdriver in her bunk. Stella gets sent to MAX for the screwdriver even though she was about to be released.
- Piper returns to being a sweeter person after she accidently forms a neo-nazi gang while trying to protect her pany business from her rival Ruiz. Chapman got branded with a swastika, which Red fixed by burning in more lines to form a window.
- Chapman became one of Red’s “family” after a originally rocky start when the WASP inmate insulted the Russian’s food.
- Piper Chapman formed a newsletter while in Litchfield prison.