Since the Tony is coming up I decided to write about Julia Houston from my favorite musical TV show Smash(2012-2013). Here are the thirteen reasons why Julia is a feminist character:
- Julia Houston is a bookwriter and lyricist for musicals. Houston usually writes alongside her best friend/gay work husband Tom Levitt.
- Houston co-wrote the Tony winning Marilyn Monroe bio-musical Bombshell. Julia won Best Book for her passionate brainchild.
- Julia had an off and on again affair with Michael Swift who played Joe DiMaggio in Bombshell. Houston ended up with Swift after the musical was done and was divorced.
- Houston’s marriage with teacher Frank Houston ended over the affair along with the fact that Julia took up writing the Marilyn Monroe musical while the couple were trying to adopt their second child. Frank felt she put her work above the family at times.
- Julia Houston tries to always be there for her son Leo Houston even after he goes off to college.
- The Broadway writer went to Brandeis University.
- Julia Houston won two Obies for Best Book Off-Broadway.
- Julia Houston has won Tonys, Laurence Olivier Awards, Drama Desk Awards, and Outer Critic Circles for the musicals Bombshell, Ready Made Money and Heaven on Earth.
- Houston co-wrote the television show Diary of a Smart Girl with Rachel Andresini.
- Julia Houston and Tom Levitt’s plays Heaven on Earth and Bombshell have been performed on the West End in London.