Here are the ten reasons why Nyssa al Ghul from Arrow is a feminist character:
- Nyssa al Ghul is the lesbian leader of the League of Assassins, which she disbanded to break free of her late father’s control.
- Nyssa’s soulmate is the bisexual Sara Lance a.k.a. the White Canary. The former assassin let Sara go twice so she could have a life free of killing.
- Nyssa al Ghul trained the Black Canary a.k.a. Laurel Lance. The two bonded over the temporary death of Sara Lance.
- Ra’s al Ghuls’ daughter became a proficient swordswoman by age eight. Nyssa was always proud to be the demon head’s daughter, but hated and feared him. She is fluent in Arabic and English.
- The cold blooded Nyssa al Ghul showed that she can feel love when she saved Sara Lance after the young woman was separated from Oliver Queen. Sara’s fearless nature around her father Ra al Ghul made Nyssa fall in love with the future White Canary.
- When Sara Lance briefly died, Nyssa swore a blood oath to avenge her beloved’s death.
- The assassin’s father forced her to marry Oliver Queen after Ra al Ghul named him the heir to the head of the demon. Nyssa’s love of Sara Lance made her weak, so Ra stripped his daughter of the title of heir.
- Nyssa destroyed the Lazarus Pit in Nanda Parbat after seeing how it transformed Sara Lance into a monster.
- When her father tasked Nyssa to bring back Sara Lance dead or alive, she decided to release the Canary instead.
- Nyssa may not love Oliver Queen, but since they became a “married in the League” she continues to protect him. For example, when Digg punched the Green Arrow she pointed an arrow at him.