Here are the ten reasons why Dr Elizabeth Weir from Stargate Atlantis (2004-2009) is a feminist character:
- Dr Elizabeth Weir was chosen to be in charge of the Atlantis Expedition and act as a sort of mayor of the city by the President of the United States.
- Weir is an expert in international politics and has mediated negotiations for the United Nations before being designated the leader of Atlantis. She speaks six languages including Latin, Russian and Ancient.
- Elizabeth practiced interplanetary diplomacy while in command. She created deals with countries in the new galaxy like the Athoisans and the Genii.
- Dr Weir has two PhDs and taught Political Science at Georgetown.
- Dr Elizabeth Weir is very protective of her senior team on Atlantis. She refused to let the government replace Colonel John Sheppard as the Chief Military Officer.
- While making plans Weir always listens to genius Scientist Dr McKay and Colonel John Sheppard, which is how they have saved both Atlantis and Earth from creatures like the Wraith and Replicants so many times. Like when the team put a invisibility shield around the city, so the Wraith thought it was destroyed.
- Dr Weir trusted two people from different worlds to be part of the Atlantis Expedition’s senior staff team: Teyla Emmagan and Ronon Dex. She became very close to them. Teyla and Elizabeth have lunch together.
- When Elizabeth and the Stargate program was kicked out of Atlantis by the surviving Ancients she became very depressed because no job would ever be as amazing as heading a team in another galaxy. Plus Weir came to find the ancient city to be her home.
- Weir was taken over by replicants, but Dr Carson Beckett was able to make them innate partly because Elizabeth fought the visions they were giving her with everything she had.
- After Dr Elizabeth Weir essentially became half replicant since the nanites were used to heal her when she was dying from being hit by a bomb, the diplomat was able to guide her team around the Replicant version of Atlantis because she was connected to the machines. She also sacrificed herself to save the senior team from being killed.