Here are the ten reasons why Ensign Hoshi Sato is a feminist character:
- Ensign Hoshi Sato is the Communications Officer aboard the Sarship Enterprise.
- Sato is a linguistics expert who knows more than forty Earth and alien languages.
- Hoshi Sato only needs a few days to pick up most languages though Klingon was harder than most. Ensign Sato is a linguistics genius.
- Ensgin Sato is the best operator of the universal translator which can make any alien language sound like English and vice versa.
- Hoshi suffers from claustrophobia, which makes it hard for her to use the space suits at first.
- Before Captain Jonathan Archer recruited her to serve aboard Enterprise, Hoshi taught linguistics in Brazil.
- Hoshi Sato had space sickness for a long time, but eventually get her space legs and goes on missions aboard other space crafts.
- Sato is very compassionate, which shows when she cares for a sick slug that the Ensign brought back from another planet.
- Hoshi Sato had a very isolated childhood in Kyoto, Japan studying languages with private tutors. She struggles to make emotional connections with people and feels very alone even on Enterprise.
- Hoshi was able to facilitate diplomatic conversations between Klingons and Archer, which allowed the crew to return a injured Klaang to Qo’noS.