I first want to admit that I’m making these predictions based on the trailer for The Crown (2016) featured on Netflix’s YouTube channel as well as the little bit of knowledge I have about British history from family, college classes and books I have read. Also, I have full respect for the real Queen Elizabeth II and hope my thoughts would not offend her if she read them. (Though I know the Queen of England would never read my blog.) Here is a list of what I hope and think will happen in The Crown:
- That Queen Elizabeth II and Philip Mountbatten the Duke Edinburgh are shown to have a relationship of equals, which is why Phillip has so much difficulty bowing down to his wife. (Not because Elizabeth is a woman.)
- Queen Elizabeth II struggles not only with being a independent woman, but also because she is a symbol for England.
- Some wonderful debates and fights between Queen Elizabeth II and Sir Winston Churchill. I hope the Queen pushes for a modern England and Churchill tries to keep the country in the past.
- Elizabeth is depicted as a “ordinary” educated woman who has to struggle to find her place in the monarchy now that she has been crowned. Queen Elizabeth II will be revealed to be more than just a symbol for the crown. Her strength will come from not being a “goddesses”, but a real gritty person.
- I hope Queen Elizabeth II will have real power. I know that now the Monarch has no legal authority, but I believe it did in the 1950’s.
- Elizabeth is shown to be a loving mother who does her best to balance work and home life.
- The Queen has the quiet reserved temperament that she has in real life, but is still shown to be a strong woman.