Here are the ten reasons why Gwen Cooper from Torchwood(2006-2011) is a feminist character:
- Even before Gwen Cooper was part of Torchwood she was a constable in Cardiff, Wales.
- Gwen Cooper tries her best to do the right thing even insisting that Torchwood starts assisting the police instead of just harnessing alien technology.
- Gwen remains the only person in the organization to have outside life. She marries Rhys her long time boyfriend.
- Toward the end of the series she becomes a mother to a baby girl. Gwen protects her child from the outside world by going into hiding with Rhys until the CIA tracks them down.
- Cooper starts of not knowing anything about Torchwood to being a leader and expert in aliens. She makes hard decisions to save humanity from alien invasions or other threats.
- Gwen has an affair with one of her Torchwood co-works Owen, but after that never strays from Rhys.
- She remains the only person to tell a loved one (Rhys) about Torchwood and the aliens who live among humans.
- Throughout the series, Gwen becomes a bad ass warrior when she started off not knowing how to shoot a gun.
- Gwen Cooper’s family has lived in Cardiff therefore on a rift for generations. Her great great … great relative Gwyneth helped the 9th Doctor and Rose Tyler defeat the Gelth because she had clairvoyant powers given to her by the rift.
- Gwen Cooper is a bad ass Welsh heroine.
Please follow MAE.