Here are the ten reasons why I believe Star Trek: Next Generation is a feminist television show:
- Doctor Beverly Crusher is a single mother who raises her genius son entirely by herself. She also manages the health of all the crew on board of the Starship Enterprise.
- Doctor Beverly Crusher graduated top of her class at the Starlet Academy.
- Doctor Beverly Crusher is a Commander in the Starfleet making her one rank below Captain Jean-Luc Picard.
- Doctor Crusher is chief medical officer of both Enterprise-D and Enterprise-E.
- Doctor Beverly Crusher was head of Starfleet Medical for an entire year, which I believe is the highest position a doctor could have in Starfleet.
- Counselor Deanna of Troi was at the rank of Lieutenant Commander for the first six seasons, then moved up to Commander for seventh season and continued to be a Commander for all the different spin offs from the series.
- Deanna of Troi is half betazoid and human, so she can feel other people’s emotion. Being an empath makes her very skilled at performing as the in-starship therapist and helping Captain Picard read potential enemies.
- Counselor Deanna of Troi has an advanced psychologist degree from the Starfleet Academy.
- Lieutenant Natasha “Tash” Yar was Chief Security Officer for the first season of Star Trek: Next Generation.
- The women on the Starship Enterprise are brilliant and all high in rank or position.
Please follow my blog MAE.