Here are the ten reasons why I believe Battlestar Galactica is a feminist television show:
- The President of the Twelve Colonies for all four seasons was a woman. Not only that, but President Lauren Roslin was the Secretary of Education before she was sworn into office. Commander Adama’s problems with her ONLY had to do with the fact that her only experience was being in charge of the education before being the political leader of their fleet of ships.
- President Lauren Roslin acts as Commander/Admiral Adama’s compassion and logic. He bounces all sorts of problems off her from military strategy to what to do with Cylon prisoners.
- When the Cylons took over on New Earth, former President Roslin was one of the leaders of the resistance. She was even jailed by the Cylons.
- Kara “Starbuck” Thrace is the best Viper pilot on Battlestar Galactica. She happens to also be the most rebellious and clever soldier.
- After losing her fiancé Zak Adama, Starbuck is extremely fragile and damaged. The guilt of the youngest Adama’s death eats Kara up and leads her to going on suicide missions like when she went out against all these Cylon Raiders alone. Starbuck may be one of the toughest characters on the show, but she still is broken making her complex and interesting.
- Starbuck’s problems never stop her from being a superb Viper pilot teacher to new cadets on Battlestar Galactica. During rough times, when sleep is scarce, Thrace takes on leadership responsibilities.
- President Laura Roslin battles with cancer while she is a President. She never lets her illness stop her from governing and helping to protect her citizens.
- Five out of twelve of the Cylon humanoid models are women. The number Sixes use their sexuality to manipulate humans to do their bidding. Athena one of the number Fives switches sides to be with her husband and child. Athena has great compassion, love, and strength. The number Threes lead a rebellion against the other Cylons because they have a natural feel of exploration and leadership. The Threes helped lead the revolters in finding the Final Five.
- Cally Henderson Tyrol is part of the maintenance crew on Battlestar Galactica. She’s shown to be a talented mechanic who along with her husband the Chief form a Workers Union that starts on New Earth and goes on when they all end up back on the Battlestar. She is extremely loyal and clever.
- Starbuck shows that she could also be an excellent mom when she thought Kacey was her daughter. All the women on Battlestar Galactica have a soft and hard side. The female characters of the show reveal leadership qualities as well.
Please follow my blog MAE.